The required scores for each English test are as follows:
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System: overall average score of 5, with a minimum score of at least 4.5 in each band; or
- OET – Occupational English Test: this is a test for medical and allied health professionals. A “B pass” is required for all 4 components of the OET; or
- TOEFL iBT: total band score of 36, with at least 3 in Listening and Reading and at least 12 in Speaking and Writing; or
- PTE Pearson Test of English (Academic): Average band score of 36, with minimum of 30 in each band; or
- CAE Cambridge English: Advanced: Average band score of 154, with minimum of 147 in each band.
Tests are valid for up to 3 years for the purposes of 457 visa applications.
Exemptions From English Language Testing
457 visa applicants must undergo English language testing, unless one of the following exemptions applies:
- The applicant holds a passport from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada or New Zealand; or
- The applicant has completed 5 years of education at the secondary or tertiary level in English medium; or
- The applicant is to be paid over the English Language Skills Exemption Threshold (ELSET), which is currently $96,400